Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Happy Birthday!

One year ago today, almost at this minute, Daniel and I held Gavin for the first time. As all parents know, at that exact moment Daniel and I both learned what true, unconditional love really is, and it instantly made us want to be better people and made us love each other even more.


The past year has gone by quickly, too quickly. We are constantly trying to get ahead of time. I want more time. I want more time in the morning after Gavin gets up, rubs the sleep from his eyes, cuddles in for a few minutes, and then slowly starts to actually wake up at first with a few grunts, then kisses for both mom and dad, a few crawls over both of us, and then the final take off where he shimmies off the bed and does not stop moving and exploring again until bedtime. I want more time with him at daycare where he walks me around the room, proud of the new toys he has discovered and the new skills he has mastered (like climbing up onto the toy shelves), gives his little friends kisses, and initiates games of chase and take-and-give or tug-o-war. I want more time with him after work when I pick him up from school, get surprised face as he sees me walk into his class (this never gets old), runs (or something like it) over to me for a quick hug and kiss and then another tour around the room. I want more time with him and Daniel at home in the evening listening to more laughs. And, as tough as it is to admit now that Gavin isn't waking up every hour, I want more time with him at night, cuddling in the dark, just the two us, snuggled up and exhausted.

Not so surprisingly if you've known me long enough, however, I simply cannot wait for whatever is next and I find myself having to remember that what is next will come all too quickly. Indeed, just seventeen more of these ridiculously speedy periods and Gavin is off to college. How wonderful it is to be his mom and get to intimately watch him grow up. I'm not sure that I'll ever be as good of a teacher as I think this miracle deserves, but I am thankful, so very, very thankful that he is our son.

I've loved you since before you were born, Baby G. And each day you make me fall more in love with you, with your dad, and with life. Thank you for bringing the purest, most magical joy to our lives. Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment